home picture
home
home luxuri
luxuri

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Bedroom Paint Color Dilemma!





Bill Baccini, Modernism's trusty color consultant, recently received this question from a reader. If you have color questions, please send it with your snapshots to jen@modernismmagazine.com. Ideas for this reader's color dilemma? We invite you to post a response!

I have a color dilemma that I’m hoping you can help with. Please take a look at the attached photos of my master bedroom. The walls are painted a very pale purple. I think the color is called “American Beauty.” (I bought the paint from MAB a few years ago.) The color is so pale that in some lights it looks white and other times it looks blue. I like that it’s got some life to it but doesn’t compete with my modernist furniture. The problem is that I recently got married and my husband thinks the color is too boring. We live in the Pocono mountain area of Pennsylvania, and I’ve tried to go with light colors and earth tones. My husband prefers bolder colors with more pop. Can you suggest a new “compromise” color that would work for this room? FYI, the adjacent hallway is a light brown called “Irish Cream”. I’ve attached a photo showing the bedroom, looking from the hallway. We can’t afford to change all of our accessories, such as our purple duvet. Do you think a medium brown might work well in the bedroom? Would a darker purple be too overpowering?

Dear Perplexed Pocono Dweller,
While I believe marriage is all about compromise, this may be a battle neither of you has to pick. Though the design community is presently really hot for accent walls whether wallpaper or paint, I choose to be judicious on its recommendation. Your space and situation, however, lends itself perfectly to this solution. Lavenders with taupes and browns are wonderful and chic combinations. I would paint the wall behind the bed a grayed milk chocolate - not too deep, more of a mid tone. This would be a beautiful backdrop for the wood headboard, a nice contrast with the window above and add an inviting warmth that presently is a bit stark. You could then leave the rest of the room its present color or paint it (ceiling too) a shade deeper lavender, still keeping it light but with a bit more personality. In this case I would keep the purple shade fairly neutral (not too red or blue). I would also recommend a smattering of another accent color for room accessories in perhaps a dusty apricot. I do however have one last thought - why no rug? Move away from that wood heavy gymnasium look and throw down an area rug with a range of plush brown and lavender stripes. Sweet dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment