home picture
home
home luxuri
luxuri

Monday, November 16, 2009

Easy, Inexpensive and Decorative Wreath Hanger

DIY Day @ ASPTL




I love wreaths! (surprise, surprise) So I am always looking for ways to hang them. Wreath hangers are great, but sometimes boring. I have cute wreath hangers that I have bought on clearance (one of my favorite words!) and I always think..."I could make this". So I did and I am going to share it with you!
I started out with a super cheap basic wreath hanger from Big Lots. It was $1.29 but it very sturdy. Some can be flimsy...sturdy is better for this project. (*This wreath hanger is in the holiday section...watch for after Christmas sales and the $1.29 turns to $0.50! YAY!) And some decorative wood ornaments from Lowe's. They were $5ish for 4. I love wood embellishments for everything, but let's move on. ;)
I gave the hanger a super quick sanding and dusting.
Then attached it with 5 min epoxy.
Ok, so you could pretty much epoxy anything on it, well almost anything. I found these great Christmas ornaments at Tuesday Morning for another project. This one was broken, so I glued it back together to use on another hanger!
Once the epoxy dried it was time to paint! I chose a metallic copper color for this one and satin black for the other one. I could have totally left the Christmas ornament one alone because it matched the hanger, but since it was repaired I needed to do a little hiding with paint. After a few coats of paint and some drying time...

To add some dimension and bring out the detail in this wood piece I watered down some black acrylic paint and applied it to the wood with a sponge brush.


I let it sit for a min or two and then wiped it with paper towel.
To bring out the detail in the black one I sanded it a bit and the great gold color came through. It is optional to now spray them with a clear coat.
Turned out quite nice, don't you think? (very nice, very nice) Total cost...about $2-3 each because I already had the paint! I bet you already have these items around the house you could re-use! (another on of my favorite words!)
Total time...about 1/2 hour! Plus, the warm fuzzy feeling of creating something this great for little or no money!





No comments:

Post a Comment