home picture
home
home luxuri
luxuri

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Time to Prune Your Roses

Today, I had my most gracious neighbor and master gardener, come to my house to show me how to prune the over grown roses in the backyard.  We rent, so while the yard is mowed and the leaves are blown, the trees and bushes have not been regularly tended to.  January is the time to prune, when the littlest buds are showing on the branches.  She showed me where to prune (about a third of the way down) and what to look for when branches start (grow out, not in).  Essentially we cut everything off, so the poor thing looks pretty sad, but I have been told that if you mix 10-5-5 fertilizer and some epson salt into the soil for the roses they will love me come spring.  I am excited to see what color the roses turn out to be!



She also told me that I have parasitic vines (like ivy) that I need to take care of and there are several hydrangeas plants.  I am looking forward to getting down to work.  Who knows maybe my gardening dreams will only last a weekend.  I already have scratches all over my hands from the thorns.

No comments:

Post a Comment