home picture
home
home luxuri
luxuri

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Wine Barrel Plaque {a knock off}

Oh, drive by garage sale finds…how I love thee!

IMG_0427

I love garage sales, but it seems like my weekends are crazy and I usually don’t end up making it to Saturday morning sales. 

Excitingly enough last Friday,  as I was driving back from getting my first pumpkin spiced latte of the season {heaven in a cup}, I saw a Friday morning moving sale!  If you follow me on twitter, you may have seen my pic of all the loot I scored for only $4!

Lemme show ya what I did with one of those amazing steals…

IMG_0434

Have you seen the lovely wine barrel plaques from Ballard?    I noticed them a while back, thinking ‘oh, I wish I could find and old barrel lid like that’.  Well, I have yet to find one.  So what do you do if you can’t find something you want? 

You create it!!

WP747_1 WP748_1 WP749_1

So here are Ballard's barrel lids.  Pretty nice huh? They are three different sizes but the smallest is 14” in diameter and 4” deep.  It sales for $69.00.

IMG_0399

Enter my $1 garage sale find. 

Um, what is it?  Maybe a drying rack of sorts? 

Fill me in if you know.  All I saw was my barrel lid project!

So I started with the lid and just stained it with gel stain I had from my trunk makeover.  Next I stenciled on the words I wanted.  I started with Pinot Noir because it’s my fave and the numbers are Mr. Husband’s and my anniversary.  A little fleur de lis stamp for some softness, and there ya go. 

A custom piece for a DOLLAR!

    IMG_0410IMG_0416IMG_0412

The lower parts had slats so I had to add in some cardboard.  I painted it all out in black, almost dry brushing, to give it an aged rustic appearance.  I stenciled on the words and numbers and free handed the shield and leaf in the center.

 IMG_0443

What do you think about 2 custom pieces for a dollar?

IMG_0445

How about 3 for a dollar?!

IMG_0444  

For this one I used cardboard again and painted it all in Heirloom white.  I then stenciled on my words, freehanded some designs and lightly sanded & glazed it.

IMG_0447 

I quite like them.  Mine measure 12” in diameter and 2” deep, so they are a tiny bit smaller than theirs, and just a little cheaper.  Just a little. ;)

IMG_0446 

I hope this inspires you to think about things differently look at that garage sale “junk” and see past what it is,  to what it could be. 

Linking up…

 

Visit thecsiproject.comget-your-craft-on

HOG

 Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap  up           party!

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment